Saturday, March 13, 2010

Isomnia

I do not like spring.

Well, perhaps that is an overstatement. I do not like spring as much as I do winter. Or autumn. Summer... I suppose it ties.

Yes, I like cold. Yes, I am allergic to mold, dust, and pollen, which makes spring a special kind of trial for me. Frankly, like most people allergic to large swathes of earth's plant life, I find a certain joy in morning frost. But more striking is the system shock of sudden warm nights, and what it does to my sleep schedual.

I have always been an insomniac. Not that bad of one, really. Exhaustion will usually get me a decent few hours of sleep a night. After a week the four to two hours a night catches up, and I get a real nice, long rest. Then there is the first month of Spring.

I don't sleep well in the heat. It tends to make me stay awake as, if not more, effectively than caffiene or pain.

Last night was warm. Last night, I did not sleep.

After dawn, I got about thirty minutes of sleep. I managed, through various means, to acquire forty more here and there during the commute and waiting for work to start. All of this was extremely shallow sleep. I doubt I got down to the lower layers of unconsciousness - little to no REM, and stage five sleep? Ha. Too scattered and desolute for that.

Then I got an eight and three quarter hour work shift.

It is days like this that I consider to be erosive to the soul. Certain incidents along the way were also very bad. Maybe we'll be exploring those later, but on exhaustion's edge they certainly didn't help.

I had a long day. I have now been awake approximately thirty three hours to an hour and fifteen minutes of sleep over the last two days.

But hey, got in that third blog post this week. All worship the schedual.

Anyhow, just checking in. Now I am going to go curl into a ball and go comatose somewhere. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment